Here’s How to Make Egg Tomato Casserole That Featured in NYTimes Brunch Recipes
Egg Tomato Casserole, not an unheard name. It’s one of the desi brunch ideas that many likes, and it has even been featured in NYTimes Brunch Recipes. It’s quite popular and even a good to try if you’re bored with your daily scrambled eggs.
Initially, this dish was one of the traditional recipes of the Parsis (a group of Zoroastrians from Persia who came to India and settled between 8th to 10th centuries.) You might have heard of many recipes, but this egg tomato casserole is a bit different and quite vivid casseroles. First, you start by adding spicy tomato sauce flavored with green chilies and ginger. Then that sauce is poured all over a layer of sliced cooked finger lining potatoes, and then it’s baked for some time. Then, some wells are made so sauce and eggs can be cracked into it, and then again, its kept for baking.
Finally, you get your yummy egg tomato casserole with Yolk over every bite. It was featured in NYTimes brunch recipes, but if you want, you can make this quick dish as a breakfast or else you can even have it as a dinner.
Ingredients to Cook Egg Tomato Casserole
Below is the list of ingredients you’ll need to cook egg tomato casserole:
|250 Grams Small Potatoes
|1 Capsicum Chopped
|1 Tsp Garam Masala powder
|2 Tbsp finely peeled chopped Ginger
|750 Grams Peeled Tomatoes
|1/4 Cup Of Edible Oil
|3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
|21 Gram Fresh Chopped Mint (Pudina)
|1 Chopped Onion
|1 Tsp Ground Cumin (Jeera) & 1 Tsp Ground Coriander (Dhaniya)
|6 Whole Eggs
Here’s How to Prepare Egg Tomato Casserole
- Take a large vessel and place potato into it and cover it using slightly salted water.
- Boil the potato for around 20 minutes or till it don’t get tender.
- Drain all the water and let it cool enough that you can handle it.
- Finally, slice it around 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- Now, put some oil in a large skillet and heat it over little, medium-high.
- Add those chopped onions into it and cook it around 5 to 7 minutes till it gets soft.
- Add pepper and stir it well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, coriander, garam masala, stir it well.
- Add those chopped Tomatoes and Salt according to taste and stir it.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, while breaking tomatoes using a fork.
- Stir and add Mint.
- Add seasonings according to your taste.
- Adjust and heat oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Make a single layer of those potatoes in a baking dish (9-inch square).
- Pour that Tomato Sauce you made over those potatoes.
- Put the pan in the oven and let it bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, get that pan out and make 6 walls in that tomato and potato mixture.
- Crack eggs one by one into that well and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Let it bake till those Egg whites are set, but Yolk still stays runny – it’ll take around 8 to 13 minutes, according to Potatoes and Sauce cooled before you kept for baking.
- Now, serve it by garnishing herbs over it.